Breastfeeding is a vital part of motherhood journey. It not only provides your baby with the nourishment they need but also helps you to bond with your little one. Breastfeeding can get take a toll on a mom's health. This is why it is important that a new mom takes a proper breastfeeding diet: the best foods for nursing mothers. In this article, you will get to know about breastfeeding nutrition: tips for moms.
A breastfeeding mom needs to eat well, to enrich her milk supply and also to keep her body functioning in the best manner. She would need an extra 500 calories daily. Below noted are 10 foods to nourish breastfeeding moms.
- You need to keep yourself hydrated when you are breastfeeding. Have lots of water and fresh juices every day to keep yourself hydrated and to detoxify through sweat and urine. Fruit and vegetable juices, smoothies and soups are great for hydrating your body.
- Each meal that you have must consist of some source of lean protein. If you are a non-vegetatain then you can go for organic chicken. Vegetarian breastfeeding moms can take cheese, yoghurt, lentils and organic dried beans.
- Dark leafy greens like watercress, kale and spinach can work wonders for breastfeeding moms as they have high levels of iron, vitamin K and A, calcium and folate. They are superfoods for nursing moms.
- Fermented foods like yogurt, miso and homemade pickles have beneficial enzymes and B-vitamins. They are good for breastfeeding moms.
- Have lots of fresh fruits and vegetables daily. The more your eat, the more diverse your mineral and vitamin intake will be. This means you will get complete nutrition. Try to eat as many colours as possible everyday. From red apples, white turnips, green melons to orange sweet potatoes; eat them all.
- Try and include healthy fats in your daily diet. Fat helps in fighting off infections, aids your body in absorbing vitamins and also generates healthy cells. Go for foods which contain monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats such as avocados, cold water fish, nuts and seeds.
- Herbs and spices not only add flavour to your food but also offer many health benefits as they have antibacterial plus antiviral properties. Try and include herbs and spices such as turmeric, cinnamon, basil, thyme, fenugreek, ginger and cayenne pepper in your diet.
- If your baby is experiencing an upset stomach or is having constipation then you should avoid dairy and gluten.
- It is very important that you practice safe food handling. Wash all fruits and vegetables properly to get rid of pesticides and wax residues. Also refrigerate meats, right away after buying.
- Coffee is something we all love. However, if you are a breastfeeding mom then you will have to limit your intake of caffeinated beverages. Excess of caffeine might make you feel jittery and might also interrupt your little one's sleep schedule.
Now that you know about breastfeeding foods that nourish your baby, go ahead enjoy this beautiful journey of motherhood.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed/shared in the blog above are personal opinions of the writer. Berrytree recommends you consult with your doctor/pediatrician/family before instinctively following any suggested steps