To a baby, touch symbolizes many things. There is a certain power in touch that babies leverage to communicate and interact with the World. Maybe this is why they love cuddling up with a parent when they are upset or when they need to feel insecure. If there is a way you can use touch as a means to soothe, calm and strengthen your baby, then it is through massage. Massage assists you have a strong positive interaction with your bundle of joy and nurture the parent-child bond, and the advantages of massage are numerous and qualitative.
If you intend to give a massage to your baby and are quite sure of the procedure, then this article should be helpful. We will assist you How To Massage Your Baby in some steps, and answer other queries you must be having about body massage for babies. So, Read on.
How To Massage Your Baby?
There is no such restriction on how less or more you can massage your baby. It is great, though, to have a fixed massage routine since it assists your baby reap all the long term benefits of massage. If your baby faces certain adverse medical problems, then consult the baby’s doctor about the ideal massage routine.
Baby Massage Tips
Here are some vital points to remember about massaging your baby:
- If at any point during the massage your baby becomes cranky, then just skip that massage step and move to the next one. If he is still irritable, then stop the massage. You can make an attempt at massaging him later when he seems more receptive to touch.
- Always be gentle during a massage. Never apply too much pressure on the baby’s body since his bones and tissues are very delicate. Also never message the genitals or around the groin area.
- Speak, laugh, and smile while massaging your baby. When he looks at you, initiate an eye contact and do some baby talk with a smile. This will assist keep him interested in the activity eventually making him more cooperative.
- When done, wipe away the oil on the baby’s palms and fingers using a tissue paper. This is to prevent him from accidently ingesting the oil when he puts his fingers in his mouth. It is for this reason, select baby massage oils that are 100% safe for babies and do not pose any health risk even on accidental ingestion.
- Maintain a fixed time for massage. This will assist establish a routine, making a baby more comfortable during a massage.
When Should I Stop Massaging The Baby?
There is no such fix age to stop massage. You cans select to massage the baby as long as you want. Many mothers stop the massage when their little one is completely weaned and has transitioned from a baby to a toddler. Massage is a great way of improving the bond with your baby while also enabling him to grow better.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed/shared in the blog above are personal opinions of the writer. Berrytree recommends you consult with your doctor/pediatrician/family before instinctively following any suggested steps